Big Horn REA does its best to provide excellent service and reliable power to our members. There are times, however, when your service may be interrupted due to unforeseen circumstances such as: weather, animals, trees or unknown causes. Some outages are “public caused” by car accidents, equipment in our lines or lines that are dug into.
The following procedures will be helpful to you should you experience an outage.
- First, check all the breakers in your home and out at the meter pole in your yard. These breakers may trip due to overloading or for unknown reasons sometimes. These breakers are considered “past the meter” or on the member’s side and employees of Big Horn are not allowed to work on the member’s side of the meter.
- If you find all your breakers are on, please contact your neighbor or look to see if you can tell if they have power. This will help the linemen decide if they have an individual outage or a larger line outage.
- Next call 568-2419 or 1-800-564-2419 anytime day or night, and report your outage. Please have the following information available:
- Your name and account number,
- Phone number,
- Service address,
- Time when power went out, and
- The cause of the outage if known.
We ask you to call and report the outage, even if you think someone else may have already. This will give us a better idea of the area we have out of power, and will get the lights on faster. Big Horn is charged a flat rate by our after hours answering service and they also welcome all your calls.
Members that have service on the mountain may experience longer outages than normal, as it takes longer for the crews to patrol the line and locate the problem. Many times the linemen will have to walk into the forest to clear the trees from the line with chainsaws. We will make every effort to restore the power as quick as possible though. However, safety of our members and employees is paramount.
We appreciate the patience of our members and apologize for any inconveniences during these times.